Saturday, July 22, 2006

Life and Death

This thought occurred to me sometime back after watching two movies.

Being somebody who does not have the patience to watch, I usually enjoy channel surfing than

Watch a full length movie.

But somehow I had the chance to watch two movies back to back.

The interesting part was that both movies dealt with the similar subject “Death”.

The movies were “Final destination” and “death becomes her”.

I don’t know these movies were really good from a critic’s perspective, but some how liked that way they handled the same theme.

Telling about the first movie, that is “Final Fantasy”. It depicts death as some kind of demonic beast that is hell bent on getting its job done no matter what.

The story revolves around a group of people who escaped from a major air mishap. Death is following the all and killing one by one in a gruesome manner.

It more or less bases itself on the hindu ideology of fate and death.

I have heard about this story when I was a kid

Once yama( the god of death) and Hanuman(Monkey God) met at somewhere. During their conversation, they saw a small bird sitting there. Yama was surprised to see the bird and said “what this bird is doing here? It is about to die”. Hanuman felt for the bird and decided to rescue it from death. He took it and flew to a far away place and left it there and came back. Then he asked Yama about the fate of the bird. Then Yama said “The bird was supposed to be killed by a snake in a far away place. I don’t how it is gonna reach there by this time”. The place where the bird was destined to die was the same place where Hanuman took it to.

It really scared me, I felt like death was around me waiting to pounce one me. It really gives you w eerie feeling. Now matter how tough life can be and how sad it can make us, we still love it.

The second movie that I watched was “ Death Becomes Her”. This was a movie about two ladies drinking an eternal potion of youth and becoming immortal.

They never die, even after falling from the stairs and breaking all the body parts or being shot at by a shot gun. They continue to live even after everyone around them die. This again gave me a scar. But thus time, it was about the notion of immortality.

Is it worth to live, if there is no one to live for? Or there there is no reason to live?

Just a food for thought :-)

2 comments:

neo said...

Now is the right time to exit, You are at your best of health, wealth and peace of mind! :-)

uno said...

Damn...even though u ended it with a smiley, it was kind of a slap on my face.
But,
am I happy?
do I have peace of mind?