Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Burqa

This Post is about some religiously sensitive matters. I do not mean to offend any religion or person.

Going back to my native state is something I always loved even though I consider an average "Mallu" a hypocrite, pessimistic and downright lazy.

But, this time my travel to Kerala gave me an idea about how liberal we are.

Nowadays all international news channels are filled with news about a Muslim Lady in the UK being expelled for wearing a Burqa and the controversy raked in by the comments made by Tony Blair and Jack Straw.

Personally I am against Burqa as I feel it hampers somebody's freedom of expression. Also I think that it is downright sexist.

If a woman have to cover her face, then why not a man?

It was also amazing to see that kind of problems in a supposed to be "developed" country like the UK. Some news suggested that the number of ladies wearing Burqa has in fact increased. I am not sure how comfortable these ladies will be wearing it in a non all-Muslim country where most wear what they like.

OK, now back to the point. I was in Kozhikodu, a district in my native state of Kerala.

To give a brief introduction about my state, it is a multicultural state shared between Hindus, Muslims and Christians. The district I have been to was a Muslim dominated state.

I was expecting a very traditional place where men will be wearing traditional Muslim dress and women will be wearing Burqa. But, to my surprise I could not find so many men wearing the traditional dress.

For that matter most of the people on the road were young guys wearing jeans and short shirt in their Bike zipping past the traffic. Even older people are wearing normal clothes that anybody else in Kerala would wear.

The most amazing thing was that I could not see a single woman wearing a Burqa. Also they were actively going out with their husband and family. I heard that during the Id holidays everyone in Kozhikode will be in the beach with their family.

In a world where Radical Islam is making its presence felt, it is good to see that there are people following Islam with Sanity.

No comments: